Wednesday 24 April 2019

Richbourne

Home for a while.
When my job was making bread and starting a vegan burger business with two brothers. I'd been here once before, sitting at the table eating avocado on toast, standing on the deck watching the sun set over the western motorway. I remember a whatsapp chat with Em "I don't want to live with 4 christian girls but it feels like I should" and so I drove my shitty audi a3 over the bridge with all of my things inside and moved in on a cloudy autumn day in 2016, the year that would break me (or make me???), just because my gut said to and like it always is, it was right.
Here I have grown.
whittakers creamy milk chocolate blocks consumed x10,000
first dates discussed: too many to count
break up hand drawn posters hanging from doors, made from the roll of brown paper that has never run out
I can't count the number of people who have stayed on our couches, in our rooms, shared our lives for a little while
my brothers, abbey's friends from christchurch, laura, jannah, the irish boys, naomi, kendra and nicole, claire, hannah every time she photographs a wedding
smoking cigarettes and drinking bourbon on the deck with katie and abbey hahaha
our cocktail parties
the most outrageous dinner parties with the best food, all of the furniture in lydia's room and tables and chairs to fit 30 people in.
the deck and the sunsets.
the first time tim kissed me
the mistletoe hanging above the front door for 2 years straight.
tandoori chicken burgers
walking on the cycleway to work;ponsonby;crumb. walking home at 5pm and how all the cyclists furiously ding their bells.
going to work at kokako, last year when we were all freelancing and the power would go off.
the tears we have cried on that couch. the movies we have watched. the cups of peppermint tea had. the coffee brewed. the times we have held each other.
going to the christmas carol service at katie's church and singing on the road to santa tell me by ariana grande
the bikes beside the stairs. all of the things I've put on my walls. the sound of the motorway at night. the helicoptors circling at midnight. 6am footsteps on the floor above me.
sharing a room: spilling all our secrets late at night, my messy half and abbey's tidy half. all of the books. only a couple of fights. the bookshelf in the middle: still hasn't tipped over despite precariousness.
when I was sick and everyone came to see me in hospital every day, and how sam and annie tidied my room while I was gone, and all the times katie emptied my bucket of vomit and checked my fever, and how abbey drove me to the emergency department that first time when I couldn't walk.
all of the airport runs.
all of the picnics
all of the walks up mt eden
all of the early mornings at habitat
all of the pizza nights, dessert nights. pooling our food to come up with some kind of meal. feeding each other when we're too broke/sad/busy to eat.
here's my home, a family I found by accident. here's to us.
X



























No comments:

Post a Comment